2019 LPF Annual Convention Success, New Slate of Officers Elected
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 12, 2018
Contact: Steven Nekhaila,
Chairman, Libertarian Party of Florida
TAMPA – Delegates and guests alike declare last weekend’s 2019 Libertarian Party of Florida Annual Convention a huge success.
“It was one of the most professional state Libertarian conventions I’ve attended,” said C. Michael Pickens, coach, lecturer and host of Friday Night’s Banquet Roast. “The Libertarian Party of Florida is making great strides to advance liberty and it’s apparent by the quality of their last convention and the sheer number of elected Libertarians in the state.”
LP National Committee Vice Chair Alex Merced agreed. “The Florida State Convention has been one of the most ambitious and smoothly run political events of any kind I’ve been to in years and a true sign of a mature organization primed to make impact for years to come.”
Incoming LPF Chair Steven Nekhaila of Key West said the Convention attendees made the success.
“What really tied it all together was the attendance of our Florida Libertarian family,” Nekhaila said. “We had stellar attendance with many new faces showing up for their first convention.”
An estimated 140 attendees attended one of the dozen events. Events included a debate between announced LP presidential candidates Adam Kokesh, Arvin Vohra and Souraya Faas. Lectures and panel discussions featured Tom Woods, Jeff Deist, Walter Block, Joshua Smith, Caryn Ann Harlos and Nekhaila.
Harlos, LP National Committee Secretary, said she was pleased to see the advancements Florida has made.
“I spent over four decades in Florida before transplanting to Colorado, and as such, being invited to speak at the LPF convention was a special honour to me,” she said. “The convention was professionally done and all of the members friendly. There is a tremendous libertarian fire in their bellies, and I wish I had discovered libertarianism while I still lived in Florida so that I could have worked daily with such wonderful and diverse people.”
Smith, an LNC At-Large Member, agreed – Florida got it right.
“The 2019 LPF state convention was the most professional and well put together state convention I have ever been to, and I traveled to 26 states and 17 state conventions last year,” Smith said. “Everything from the breakout sessions to the meals, and the lighting was superb. I can’t wait to see what they pull off in 2020, and I hope all other states will watch the footage and strive for the same.”
Nearly a completely new Executive Committee was elected Saturday morning. They are:
- Chairman: Steven Nekhaila
- Vice Chairman: Spenser Garber
- Secretary: Brandi Hicks (Returning)
- Treasurer: David Salisbury
- Director At-Large 1: Suzanne Gilmore
- Director At-Large 2: Larry Gillis
- Director At-Large 3: J Mark Barfield
- Regional Representative 1: Julia Hall
- Regional Representative 2: Cody Moser
- Regional Representative 3: Jonathan McCue
- Regional Representative 4: Davie Parrish
- Regional Representative 5: Addison Patrick
- Regional Representative 6: Ashley McCoy
- Regional Representative 7: Tegan Joseph
- Regional Representative 8: Bryan Zemina
- Regional Representative 9: John Olivadoti
- Regional Representative 10: Stephen Aiken
- Regional Representative 11: Shawn Elliott (Returning)
- Regional Representative 12: David DeForest
- Regional Representative 13: Lee Korotzer
- Regional Representative 14: Josh Curtis
Returning Region 11 Representative Shawn Elliott said he’s looking forward to a great year. excited to work with the new team.
“I’m excited to be a part of the new EC,” said Elliott. “Steven has done a great job of fixing our treasurer issues and Spencer is very focused and committed to continuing to move the party in the right direction. Very exciting times for Libertarians in Florida.”
– By J. Mark Barfield, Staff Writer
— xxx —